What is Company Secretary
- The full form of CS is ‘Company Secretary or Chartered Secretary’
- CS is considered as India’s number one Corporate law and Corporate Governance profession. The role and title of CS is created by act of parliament through the Company Secretaries Act, 1980. The profession of CS is created through the above Act has been then entrusted with various roles and responsibilities under Company laws, Securities laws and various other Indian legislations/Acts as Company Secretary, Secretarial Auditors, Legal officer, Key Managerial Person etc.
- Since then, CS profession has gained tremendous importance and significant growth by their quality services and areas of expertise in the field Company laws, Securities laws, Financial Markets, Corporate governance, Labour laws and corporate management.
- CS is considered as Key managerial person in the company he is entrusted with the responsibility of ensuring complete legal compliance and corporate governance in the company.
- Currently CS qualified members are 40,000 (approx.) which is far below than the industry requirement.
- CS profession is regulated and manged by Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI), New Delhi.